Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Working

I spent most of my writing and thinking time today working through just two pages of revision of the section "What is design?" One reviewer liked it, the other wanted us to remove it, saying it was written for a management rather than a design journal. At first I thought to leave "as is," but when I looked further, I could see how we had put all the theorists we referenced into context, and that might seem condescending to readers who were well versed in design issues. By the end of the day 1,110 words were reduced to 940, but every word was a struggle!
I took time out to reconoiter two local university libraries -- at the Ringling School of Art and Design (primarily fine arts and some visual design) and University of South Florida at Sarasota (undergraduate liberal arts, no management). Neither has reciprocal borrowing privileges with SHU, but I'm sure I can do all that I need to while sitting at the libarary tables.

No comments: