Sunday, May 18, 2008

Four Days in DC

Wednesday 5/14 1:05 PM till Sunday 5/18 12:25 PM


I had a miserable time at the EAM conference Don't get me wrong -- it wasn't the conference itself. I atended all the sessions (except one), contributed to ours on minds for the future, facilitated a developing cases session, enjoyed conversations and dinners with colleagues whom I hadn't seen since this time last year.

But my head was occupied with my future course of action dilemma. Each day I would come to a conclusion -- then wake up the next mroning convinced that it was not the best one. My trusted mentors, Jack and Diana, were very patient, listening, coaching, coaxing, but by the end of the conference they were direct about their minds on this matter.

However, Jack and I had a great day and a half sightseeing before and after the conference. We hadn't been tourists in DC since our children were in grade school, so there were new sights to see. Here are some images:






World War II Memorial:





Visiting veterans


and a tribute to women like Rosie.











Alexandria: The First George slept and prayed here.













The Botanical Gardens: With prolific and endangered specimens (we enjoyed a fantastic guided tour).








The American Indian Mueseum: Modern exterior, inside living interpretation of the universe, culture, and life of the peoples of the first nations. I had my eye on a woman's battle dress -- until I read the narrative!








The Academy of National Academies: My mind boggles at the thought of what might happen inside this building!








Finally, the Newseum -- chronicling "the first attempt at history": World Trade Center communication tower, front pages, news censorship around the world, working studio where George Stephanopholis was recording his weekly show. We didn't have nearly enough time.













Then, back to Fairfield and reality.

No comments: