Friday, July 25, 2008

No!

I woke up with pleasant thoughts -- no guests, no grocery shopping, no deadlines. But then, horrors-- no flag on the Orr flagpole! How quickly we've become accustomed to using it as a convenient wind-meter! The Orrs are away, and when they return I must tell them about the Swedish practice of flying a pennant in the national colors (rather than the national flag) for everyday and overnight use.

Jack decided to go for a bike ride -- but, no air in his back tire! A visit to the bike shop provided a new inner tube, and he set off for a 25 mile ride to Barn Island and back.




While eating lunch we noticed the tops of the trees quivering (a sign of 5+ knots), and we were so desperate for a sail that we said "Wind .. 'n go!" Puff (our inflatable dinghy) is in her August location on the Langworthy dock, and needed bailing after last night's rain before we set out.

We enjoyed a pleasant sail as far as White Rock. No prizes for the origin of the name (click on the photo to enlarge it), though I believe it is called Red Rock on the chart. But then the wind died, and we endured "shake and bake" with the added discomfort of big rollers from storm Bertha coming over Wikipasuset Passage. With no wind we did what is almost unthinkable for us -- used the outboard engine to return to the mooring. No fun!


Notice that I did not say that I did no work. I developed the first part of the EAD-09 abstract and discussed future MBA development with Steve by Skype. I also caught up with my first batch of A-Dean emails.
Now I've no more news -- or photos!

No comments: