First the physical: It was a "pretty morning" and with a forecast of freshening winds in the afternoon, we went for a sail in the morning. There were lots of power boats out -- which meant plenty of wake-related chop, another reason for a morning sail because it only gets worse on a summer Sunday afternoon. The wind freshed as we were running back to the morning and we had our worst pick-up -- or connection with the mooring -- of the season. On deconstruction afterwards, we were going too fast, Jack overshot the dinghy, then turned too sharply. I had trouble keeping my footing on the deck (that's why I choose to wear a lifejacket), and caught the dinghy painter (line tied to the mooring buoy) on the backside of the boathook. I shouted to Jack, "I missed it!" he came up to the deck grabing the pickup buoy line -- I shouted "get back in the boat" (with flash-visions of us both ending up in the water and
Wind 'n Go sailing into the rocks) when he realized that the mainsheet was jammed and we were still sailing. He released tthe cleat, I grabbed the mooring line, and everything wass back to normal. Three minutes of drama, maximum! We connected to the mooring again!
Then connections by phone. To the west coast and a conversation with Karen to catch up with tales of Chapter One of her dissertation. Way to go, Karen! Keep those fingers conn

ected to the keyboard! To the northeast across the Atlantic to Ulla on Ockero. It seesm ages since I was there! We each told the other of our current challenges. Ulla is in the final stages of planning her "golden" birthday party -- with an academic seminar as a lick-off, then over 80 guests, and a 17 piece band for dancing. I recommended a "party troll" with hair she could stroke every time she was worried. I can only send her this photo of a 3 cm tall troll (with hair stretching another 3 cm). Jack and I wish we were going -- we'll just have to look for photos on the party blog.

And, last but not least, connections to SPSS and first results from the donor decision database. Diana looks quite pleased!
1 comment:
of course you have trolls around the house--who doesn't?!!!
remind me of this comment later on in the week.
Post a Comment