Saturday, August 2, 2008

Donor decisions database duties

I must be becoming a "true administrator". I refrained from answering a single work-related email and I successfully avoided getting caught up on adminsitrivia. Instead I used my "desk time" to return to the chore of extracting information from websites that evaluate charities and compiling it into a huge database. I haven't spent so much concentrated effort on this task since I was in Sweden -- and that was ages ago, before we even knew for sure that our dean candidate would decide not to come. I remember telling Ulla and Kaj about the yes, then no decision, and the three of us lamented on the messy situation that would probbaly come about. Maybe we're over "the mess" now!

I only entered data for 20 cases, but it took me quite some time to set up the worksheets on my Vista machine.I don't know why I'm having so much trouble converting files -- I must find someone to hep me when I go to campus next week. I also had to check for updated information on each of the charities from the various rating websites. I'm determined to have the database finsihed by the time Diana returns form Australia, and also have SPSS properly installed so we can complete the analysis and put together a first draft of the paper.

As you can probably guess, there was no wind for sailing yet again. The morning was bright and sunny, but the afternoon was rainy. Myabe tomorrow will be better -- winds of 5-10 knots are forecast. Those sound like hedging numbers to me, so I'm not really very hopeful.

No comments: