The day began well with a return to my long-time habit of sitting on the beach to read the sunday paper. Check against a beach-reading picture from last January!
Then a novel skywriting ploy caught my attention. Six planes were needed for the exerc
ise -- that's a lot of fuel!
(You'll need to click on the photo to read the message.)
We waited to sail until early-afternoon, but by the time we Puff-ed out to Wind n' Go and hoisted the mainsail there were small breaking waves, spume on the surface, and strong SW gusts. Jack and I had one of our rare arguments (after all, we are both in the same MBTI group) about whether we had line to reef the mainsail (not whether a reef was needed). I insisted that the end of the main haylard was unsafe to use, and called a return to shore. Naturally, about an hour later the wind dropped again. A maturing experience on having propser line on board and on timing our sailing excursions. No question about our unwritten rule that if one of us calls a return to shore, we do it.
After a good meal, I entered my daily quota of "random" six-digit number for my research database. I need to concentrate to get each sequence correct, but I did wonder if I am entering sufficient numbers to cover all possible combinations. I decided to calculate the probability, but I'm rusty -- If I remember correctly, there are 9x10x10x10x10x10 or 900,000 combinations (but that seems too simple -- someone, please set me straight!). I'm entering 100 cases with 48 variables, or 4,800 numbers. Not even close!
I'm ready to face the fray again tomorrow!
No comments:
Post a Comment