Monday, June 16, 2008

An ironic day

I focused on Bacelona keynote book chapter today -- Eduardo invited Ulla and me to contribute the paper we presented as a keynote at the Narratives and Rehtoric Conference at ESCADE last June to a book he is compiling. We don't have a "paper" -- just the irony book and some intriguing slides. So I settled down to a "graphic narrative" using the ppt on one side of the page and snappy comments on the other. It's a more time consuming task than even I had expected! But I found (with some difficulty) a collection of somewhat ironic postcards to inspire me and set to work. By the end of the dayI had annotated 6 of 15 slides. It's due a month from now so I'll need to keep focused on this task -- beside reading the proofs for the Design Journal article that came in this evening, and on Wednesday driving up to WNEC (Springfield, MA) to work with Jeanie on the paper we expect to submit to the EAM-International Conference in Brazil next June. Not to mention the fact that Diana will be down here tomorrow and probably hot to trot on the two projects we have in process.

As a distraction from discussing binary oppositions and how irony dissolves them, I created one (two actually) of my own as a way of measuring my day. There are two axes: One is Sailing Conditions (from bad to good) and the other is Resreach Activity (from low to high). The four quadrants have suitable descriptors.

Today I said, "Hope for better wind."

The day fell apart when I tried to back up my files onto the small harddrive before swapping out to my new laptop tomorrow. About two thirds of the files copied easily; the rest would not copy. I'll have to go to the session early tomorrow to get help. How embarassing!

And if I don't make a post tomorrow, it's because I can't make my new machine work!

No comments: