Sunday, March 9, 2008

Bad internet day

Whatever happened to "bad hair days"? In my world they have been replaced by bad internet day! Last night I decided to spend a couple of hours this morning working on my Donor Decisions database -- and this imperative was confirmed when I opened the NYT and found the magazine section devoted to "giving money". But, my internet connection was s-o s-l-o-w that I knew I did not want to mess with using SPSS through my SHU VPN. (Good excuse, eh?)

Instead I worked on Digital Measures -- and experienced a different sort of frustration. I am desperately needing feedback from early adopters before I request more customization of input screens and output reports. That in itself is a drawn out process -- when I submit a task request DM has two weeks to complete it. But if I haven't been sufficiently specific, the programmers send me an email (usually at midnight of the last day). My response starts the clock on another two week window -- and sometimes the programmers still have more questions for me! My longest running request (so far) is 6 weeks, and it's still not resolved! I'm desperate to get this database up and running before our new dean arrives. It took me just an hour to enter my scholarship activities (and I have a reasonably active amount), and Sue K and Rosemary are busy entering administrative information. So, PLEASE, everyone who can work on their DM account, do so and send me feedback about what works and what frustrates you. Otherwise I may regress into nagging mode -- not appropriate for a sabbatical!

For a while this morning we couldn't even retrieve email ... panic set in .... the network was reset, cables and computers were swapped, technical service was called, their advice heeded. Still no success. But the gremlins were on our side and, with a final switch of cables, all was connected again!

I think I had better leave the internet for the beach!

Where we -- and the seagulls --found hundeds of live sallops stranded by the tide.
















No comments: