Jack -- On the Joys of Being Only an Observer:
I’m glad that I was somewhat distant from the paper that Ulla and Jill were writing. Quite frankly, I didn’t have the slightest idea what they were working on, so whatever they were doing didn’t really affect or distract me in any way. Just as well. But when it got noisy, then I paid a bit more attention as to what was going on.
Each had their ideas on some aspect of it, and tended to vocalize that aspect with some energy and determination. Bam! Bam! But! But! etc., etc., etc. At this point I might be inclined to look up just to make sure that blows were not about to be exchanged. It really never got to the stage of pounding fists on the table or anything like that, but I was watching. And just as suddenly as this volcano erupted, somewhere they found the thread of reason that they both accepted and then they joyously proceeded onwards. It was quite something to watch – but best at a distance!
They both agreed today that they worked harder on this paper than they should have considering their age. I can agree with that! Nevertheless, it was great to have Ulla with us for these two weeks – we had lots of fun in between the work - and we look forward to our next meeting.

Each had their ideas on some aspect of it, and tended to vocalize that aspect with some energy and determination. Bam! Bam! But! But! etc., etc., etc. At this point I might be inclined to look up just to make sure that blows were not about to be exchanged. It really never got to the stage of pounding fists on the table or anything like that, but I was watching. And just as suddenly as this volcano erupted, somewhere they found the thread of reason that they both accepted and then they joyously proceeded onwards. It was quite something to watch – but best at a distance!
They both agreed today that they worked harder on this paper than they should have considering their age. I can agree with that! Nevertheless, it was great to have Ulla with us for these two weeks – we had lots of fun in between the work - and we look forward to our next meeting.
Jill says:
And I'm left wearing the chili apron!
Until next time!

1 comment:
Back home after 8 hours at Chales de Gaulle airport. I already miss you and Sarasota. But the light has returned to our mornings while I have been in Florida/Ulla
Post a Comment