Monday, March 10, 2008

A sabbatical is not all fun!

What a (non) productive day! First a couple of hours spend communicating with my brother John on a UK banking issue by email, voice, pdf files, and the US postal service, then working with Jack on our biannual carpet cleaning project (I did the spot cleaning, he drove the big machine), followed by far too long spent formating the DMI paper to conference proceedings specifications of font, margins, headings, etc. (they want pfd, word AND two hard copies -- when did you last send a paper copy anywhere?) interspersed with WCOB adminsitrivia.

But the day was not entirely wasted: after loafing, swimming, and eating, I settled down to work on data entry for my "donor decisions" data base. This is a database with (all) the information provided by various charity rating services that is intended to help "ordinary donors" (not wealthy philantropists) make descisions as to whether a cause will spend their gift wisely. Diana Stork and I intend to do some correlation analysis to investigate whether (or not) all/any of this information is "helpful" (however defined -- TDB).

I haven't worked on this project since mid-January and I had trouble even finding the sources of information (note-to-self, take time to update the code book so this doesn't happen again). Then, as soon as I'd sorted out how to locate information in the American Institute of Philanthropy watchdog report, SPSS started sending me messages "Have to close -- sorry for the inconvenience." I'm not sure if this is a VPN or exe link problem. I think I'll just work in Excel tomorrow. Or maybe I can wear a sign saying "Need help with SPSS" during our morning beach walk and see if someone stops me to offer advice! All-in-all, not much real progress, but I did get going again on this project.

No comments: