Wednesday, April 9, 2008
Another busy day
My first work task today was to respond to the final -- I hope -- pre-publication queries for our "Dancing with Hierarchies" article to be published in the Design Journal. I consider myself a careful researcher, but I'm always embarassed by the number of missing reference details that somehow (gremlins again?) make their way into the final-final manuscript. I spent a couple of hours searching and checking -- fortunately Ulla has the hardcopy source materials that we used -- my copies are in Connecticut! An email with the proceedings of the DMI conference acted as a reminder to prepare the details of our presentation. Lunch with Marcus, one of Ulla's Ph.D. students, to talk about his research -- an intervention to introduce a designer into a company to improve their innovation process -- and to help him with his presentation for Paris. And afternoon appointments with first one back to the US via Skype, then with a design consultant to learn about her process for preparing a strategic design plan for her client companies and to ask what she sees as needed in design management research: answer, work at the organizational level, not at the individual level. Then, after a nice dinner, yet another cultural experience, a Pecha Kucha Night (see Wikipedia for history) sponsored by the Association for Design and Advertising (ADA). Here the participants showed 20 slides for 20 seconds each in order to tell their story. These were members of the design community and they spoke/showed an art installation related to books, a new magazine, the cultural experience of visiting India, and a community theatre. While I "got" the experience -- and these events must be very popular because the bar was packed -- I missed the nuances of the presentations, so we left during the 20 minute beer break. We just caught the ferry and were back home by 10 PM. Another good day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment